Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Wacky Wednesdays - Pauper Dailies Whacked!

It's a great time for the Standard Pauper tournament scene - the revived MPDC series is halfway through its new season and the revival of SPDC starts tomorrow!  But Classic Pauper players just got whacked by Wizards big time.

I did not notice Monday's announcement as I was too focused on Standard Pauper, but apparently Wizards has completely pulled support for Classic Pauper Daily Events on MTGO.  The Pauper community is all abuzz about this (check out this long thread on Reddit) and the vast majority of them are not happy.  Not one little bit.  They are correct in saying this is whack.

I can't add much to the discusion because I rarely play Classic Pauper and have never participated in a DE.  The Player Run Events offered by PDCMagic have always served my Magic gaming needs.  But I acknowledge that Dailies have a huge following and that Pauper Dailies in particular have a strong following and legacy on Magic Online.  Classic Pauper players often experiment with Standard, so this inadvertently affects us, too.

I will only say that this is also blow to Standard Pauper players.  Many of us are hoping for the same kind of official support for our format that Classic Pauper recieves.  I was even more optimistic this was on the way when we got our filter a short while ago.  But now that WotC is pulling support for the big Pauper format, I'm not as hopeful that Standard Pauper will get any Dailies anytime soon.  I hope Classic gets theirs back as soon as possible.

In the meantime, some are suggesting that PREs are a good way to fill the void.  If Wizards is going to actively destroy opportunities to play Pauper, then by golly, us Pauper players are just going to have to actively create new opportunities ourselves.  Sure, it requires players to step up to host, but I've found before that hosting is a fun and rewarding challenge.  I'm up for it again, with accidentally good timing.  So if you're a Classic Pauper player whose Daily just got whacked  (thanks, Wizards!) then I encourage you to stop by the Anything Goes room tomorrow at 8:30 PM, Eastern Time, for the Standard Pauper Deck Challenge event!

Until then, I offer my condolences to Classic Pauper players everywhere.  Give Standard Pauper a try while we wait for Wizards to get their act together.  See you soon and have a Wacky Wednesday! Peace,

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment